Hello and welcome to Loyola University Chicago School of Law! As you settle in to your new schedules, don’t forget to use your much-deserved down time to take advantage of the many exciting things our school and city have to offer. Here are 10 great ideas to get you more acquainted with the school and experience some of the best parts of Chicago!
- Tired of looking up at all the buildings? Try looking down! The Skydeck in the Willis Tower is a very cool way to get a bird’s eye view of Chicago. Plus, the photo-ops are awesome. (Tickets are $19.00 each).
2. Lou Malnati’s or Giordano’s? It’s no secret that Chicago is home to the sacred deep dish pizza. If you have a favorite already, go treat yourself! If not, grab some friends and make sure your stomachs are empty and head out to decide for yourselves!
3. Take some time to acquaint yourself with the law school. Explore the library, check out the café (lower level), find your study spot and make sure you feel at home. I’ve taken a particular liking to the fourth floor tables in the library, but I’m also a fan of the comfy chairs outside of the admissions office (12th floor)!
4. Did you come to law school curious about a particular field of law? We’re lucky to be at an institution that offers such a broad range of fields, whether it’s health law, child law or intellectual property, among others. Feel free to email a professor to see if he or she can recommend a 2L or 3L student in that field with whom you can speak. We’re in this together, and I think you’ll find a plethora of classmates and faculty who are willing to help you find your niche!
5. The Lakefront Trail is one of the most beautiful parts of Chicago. Whether you walk, run or just feel like lying down in the sand, Lakeshore provides a breath of fresh air and an introduction to the eclectic and wonderful members of the Chicago community (just be sure to watch out for cyclists!). Entering the bike path at the end of Fullerton St. provides a particularly incredible view of the skyline.
6. Were you a little intimidated by Dean B’s financial aid speech on Starbucks? Don’t worry, you can still get your caffeine fix without a $5 latte. Swing by the second floor of Baumhart Hall before your class – they have to-go cups & lids available and a Keurig for coffee and tea!
7. The Water Tower Campus Block Party – one of the best parts of your first week! Don’t pack a lunch this day and head right outside the law building to live music, free Loyola t-shirts, and free food. It’s a great way to relax for an hour or two with new friends. If you missed the Fall party, be on the look out for the Spring Block Party event!
8. Do you have friends or family visiting or helping you move in? The Architectural Boat Tour on the Chicago River is a great thing to do with visitors and a fun way to learn some Chicago history while seeing it from a new perspective. Tickets are between $39.00-$50.00 each (keep on eye out for discount coupons on Groupon or living social)
9. If pizza isn’t your thing, there’s no worry there. Chicago has a fantastic restaurant scene to satisfy any craving – whether it’s fine dining or casual, or vegan or southern barbecue. It’s the perfect “foodie” city and, if you choose wisely, the prices won’t break the bank either! Check out past restaurant recommendations here. Add Chicagoist to your reader for some great restaurant ideas.
10. Last but not least, Bar Review. Your first few weeks will be overwhelming and you’ll likely leave your last class on Thursday ready for a nap and a night in, but definitely try to head out to wherever Bar Review is that week. It really is the perfect way to relax with your classmates and get to know people in a different setting.
Post Written by Kelly Kearney, Class of 2017. Introduction to follow next week.